Science Reflection

This was the video I reflected on:

http://antsclass.global2.vic.edu.au/2016/12/05/space-homework-3/

I would definitely recommend this video to watch. I found it very interesting to watch, and the information I learnt truly amazed me. So please watch this video if you have time!

Blue: Facts

Red: Understandings

Green: Questions

This video was about solar system and the size/scale of it. Here’s a quote explaining what it’s like to see Earth in space.

“As we got farther and farther away, the Earth diminished in size. Finally it shrank to the size of a marble, the most beautiful marble you can imagine… seeing this can change a man.” James Irwin Apollo 15. Who did it changed? Did they do anything about it?

See, the actual size of planets are microscopic, on a piece of paper you can’t see them. But it’s the opposite with the distance from the sun to the moon, it’s actually way bigger than what we think it is.

So if we can’t see how big the solar system is, how can we know? Well, the only way to see the actual size of the solar system is to build it.

In the black rye desert, Alex Gorosh and Wylie Overstreet set up camp and in 36 hours they measure distances, trace out orbits and set up a time lap video (which had to be shot from up on top of a nearby mountain). When the time lap had finished, they would light up a marble on a stand where a planet is support to be. When it was lighten, you could see how big the solar system actually is (from the lines/orbit). Here is what the planets ended up being on the scale:

(Smallest to biggest)

Mercury was 68 m/224 feet.

Venus 120 m/447 feet

Earth 176 m/579 feet

Mars (actually has robots on this planet) 269 m/881 feet                                 

Jupiter 0.92 km/0.51 mi

Saturn 1.7 km/1.1 mi

Uranus- 3.4 km/2.1  mi

Neptune (the edge of the solar system)- 5.6 km /3.5 mi

By the planet Jupiter, the orbits were becoming giant! Neptune’s was the biggest out of all of the planets, and it was ginormous. You can see how big all of the orbits were (they were HUGE) in the video (at the top of the page-link, from 2.20 min to 4.33 min).

To prove that they had done this correctly, they decided to test this scale with the sun. They tested by seeing whether the sun they created (the size at sunrise) is the same size as the actual one at sunrise. It was, so they were correct. The sun was a meter and a half on the scale

There are 24 people out of billions who have seen the full circle of earth. Why only 24?

Earth’s orbit doesn’t rise, it curves. When you head on out to the moon, the horizon slowly curves around and then you’re looking at something that’s very strange yet very familiar. Earth. If you’re in space and you’re looking out at Earth, you can put your thumb up and can hide Earth.

I now understand actually how huge solar system is, and how big the planets actually are.