Space Video Reflection- Solar System

Here’s the video I did this report on:  http://antsclass.global2.vic.edu.au/2016/10/16/this-weeks-space-homework/

Key:

Blue: Facts

Red: Understandings

Green: Questions

This article is about our solar system and what we know about it (generally). The solar system is a series of objects that orbit the sun because of gravity. It consists of In consists of galaxies, planets, asteroids and many more. Our solar system is a tiny percent of what we call Space, which is enormous! Our solar system is located in a calmer part of the Milky Way, which all humans in our solar system live.

There are 8 planets in our solar system, which are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune. Each planet is either a gas planet or a terrestrial planet, but this doesn’t include the bunch of dwarf planets (I will expand on dwarf planets a bit later). Mercury, Venus, Earth and mars are terrestrial planets, but they are tiny compared to the gas planets Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune (in fact these gas planets contain 99% of the mass of all the other planets combined!). Although these planets can be named into groups, they are very different. They can have different temperatures, weights, moons, weather, sizes, distance from the sun, and even simple things like the colour of the planet.  But there are still similarity’s about the planets like:

1. Every planets has to be a sphere
  2. Every planet has cleared orbit
  3. All of the planets orbit the sun (Star Sol).

And all together, the planets make up 0.14% of our solar system.

Dwarf planets are also very different to each other and have categories, except theirs are based on where they are in the solar system. The two categories are the Asteroid Belt (the dwarf planets are between Mars and Jupiter), and the Kuiper Belt (the boundary of the solar system). In these belts are also the trillions of asteroids and comets in our solar system. The all circle the sun, and some examples of dwarf planets are Pluto, Ceres, Makemake and Haumea.  Ceres is the most known object in the Asteroid Belt, while Pluto, Makemake and Haumea are the best known objects in the Kuiper Belt. Although there are millions of objects in these belts, both are pretty empty. But the mass of these belts make up for it, the asteroid belt being 4% of the moons mass while the Kuiper belt is between 1/25 and 1/10 of Earth!

Another object in our solar system that is very important is our sun! It takes up 99.86% of our solar system mass, and it is made from mainly hydrogen, helium and less than 2% of oxygen and iron. The core of the sun consumes 620 million tons of hydrogen every second. Over the years the sun will get hotter and hotter, until when it get to the 500 million year make, the only thing that will remain in our solar system will be the 4 closest planets. Then the sun will melt each of the planets crusts, and the sun will get hotter. Then it will get so hot that it expands and swallows up these planets, or will turn them into a sea of lava. After the sun has done this, it will shrink into a white dwarf star and burn for a few billion years. Then the sun will die, and there will be no life in our solar system. The mankind in our solar system will be extinct, unless we leave and find somewhere else.

The solar system is so big that we haven’t even explored all of it yet. It has been around for 4 ½ billion years, and every year we learn something new about it. But we still haven’t developed the technology to find out everything about the solar system though we have found out a lot over the years.

I understand that we have found out so much about the solar system, yet we only have found out a tiny bit.

My Question is:

When/will there be a time where we find out everything (or most things) about the solar system and will humankind still be there for it (the sun wouldn’t have swallowed us up)?

My 2 Question is:

When will we have the technology to discover everything (most things) about the solar system, and what will this technology do?

One thought on “Space Video Reflection- Solar System

1. Hi Adriana,
    Excellent piece of writing! There are SO many facts in this put together so well. I think you did an amazing job on this.
    With the question thing, honesty, in my opinion I don’t think scientists have enough time to be able to discover things beyond our galaxy (and the neighbouring galaxy I forgot the name of) in full depth, explainable responses. We might get a little beyond them, but like 200,000,000,000 galaxies away is probably too far. Unless we move somewhere else and continue our search, we might get it in before our time ends. And our time will end like even without a crazily overlarge meteor hitting our land. This kind of relates to your second question, I really don’t think there is the time to create all this stuff that travels really far.
    But yeah amazing job and great questions although my response to them is pretty sad…
    Phoebe